Speak freely

Impediment workflows

I don't understand why one cannot create a workflow for an impediment..This makes no sense at all. An impediment can be 'new', 'under investigation', 'in resolution' and any variety of states, just like stories and bugs...so why not allow us to define these states?

53 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Paul Cleghorn Gassco shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

5 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Nicole commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

we will be using Impediments more heavily - Im surprised this got squashed. Whats the latest on Custom/Team Workflows and Impediments?

• Paul Cleghorn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Well said Danielle..If we were allowed to have a custom entity that we can call what ever and to attach to anything then I'd be happy..We could make up our own items such as impediments or risks etc.

• Danielle Jenne commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like to use the new Team Workflows feature to add the workflows for different teams who will ultimately research, work on, and/or resolve an Impediment. Apparently Impediments can't even have multiple states - this came as a huge surprise to me!

• Paul Cleghorn Gassco commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The reason that they are rarely used is probably due to such limitations. For collating issues, blockers etc that are NOT other stories or bugs impediments are the only thing that TP has.
    I can add custom fields to add items such as state and priority but I should not have to. If you aren't going to support impediments you should discourage their use but bring in something new that is more 'fit for purpose' and in line with the other entities.

• AdminTargetprocess Support (Admin, Targetprocess) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Paul,

You're right: impediment states are non-customizable. This limitation has been introduced long time ago, and involves the database and API structure, thereby adding workflow won't be an easy task. I'd like to be honest with you: taking into account that Impediments are rarely used by our customers, chances are poor that we'll implement it, at least in the near future.

Sorry for bad news.

Regards,
    Anna K.

Feedback and Knowledge Base