Speak freely

Work hierarchy tab does not show all the Features, Stories, Bugs that belong to a project

Say I have two projects, P1 and P2.

If I have Project P1 > Epic E1 in Project P1 > Feature F1 in project P1, then in work hierarchy tab for P1 I can see E1 and F1. It is expected and it is good.

If I have Project P1 > Epic E1 in Project P1 > Feature F1 in project P2, then F1 is not listed in work hierarchy tab in neither Project P1 nor in Project P2. I can see it only in special views or in Featurs tab of Epic E1.

If I have Project P1 > Epic E2 in Project P2 > Feature F2 in project P1, then F2 is not listed in work hierarchy tab in neither Project P1 nor in Project P2. I can see it only in special views or in Featurs tab of Epic E2.

23 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Targetprocess SupportAdminTargetprocess Support (Admin, Targetprocess) shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Targetprocess SupportAdminTargetprocess Support (Admin, Targetprocess) responded  · 

Indeed hierarchical links (such as Epic > Feature > User Story > Bug) in Targetprocess do not limit assignment of all work items to the same project. And, for example, as a result it is possible to have Features from Project P2 assigned to an Epic from Project P1. The system allows these links and does not consider them as invalid ones.

However such links may prevent entities from being shown in Work Hierarchy tab of Project entity.

In this tab you can see only entities from Epics > Features > User Stories > Tasks, Bugs chain only when all these parent and child entities belong to the same project. When some parent entity belongs to other project, its child entities won’t be shown in Work Hierarchy tab in any Project.

These hidden entities still can be located using other tabs (such as Features tab for an Epic) or views.

To ensure that lists in Work Hierarchy tabs do not have any hidden entities, we recommend you to build special filtered views that would help you to detect problematic entities and correct assignments to projects.

Example of such view:
    Cards: Features
    Filter: ?Epic is not None and Project.Id != Epic.Project.Id

To correct links for Features shown in such filtered view – and therefore make such features no longer hidden in Work Hierarchy – please do one of the following manually:
    1) Assign Feature to the Project of its parent Epic
    2) Assign parent Epic to the Project of the Feature

(Alex, Support Team)

2 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We started to work with cross-project Epics. It means our Epics contain Features from many Projects. I am trying to create a global Timeline view with all Projects and, directly from the Project, I would like to navigate to its Features. And, after that, I could not use the "Work Hierarchy" view on Projects anymore, because the Epics does not belong to the project.

• pmaxpmax commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was trying to copy a feature with subitems (USs) to another project.
        TP reported that it was successfully done so and opened a details window wit the newly copied feature.
        In the details screen (right panel) it showed that feature belongs to a new project with the link to a new project, but a link to an Epic was a link to an Epic in an original project.

So when I browsed a hierarchy of "new" project I couldn't find the feature.
        In the old project, however, there was a copy of original feature under the same "Epic" it was before.
        But opening the details of the feature, showed the "new" project. Although you could browse to it only through an old project.

Seems like the hierarchy is broken (by changing the reference to a new project, but leaving a reference to an Epic from a wrong "old" project).

Feedback and Knowledge Base