Speak freely

Track initial estimates for User Stories, allow to compare with effort and time spent on Sprint level

Seeing User story estimates, pre sprint planning then post sprint planning, to report on the change in estimates

We tend to estimate User Stories at project start and then in sprint planning break them down to tasks (the culmination of tasks makes up the new User Story estimate).

However, we can't see anywhere the original user story estimate against the new one when this process has been started.....

is there anyway of getting this data?

If we decide to use custom field for this purpose, it should be filled in automatically and not manually. Is there anyway of getting the custom field to populate itself from the initial estimate, or running a script that populates the field when the entire project has been estimated as otherwise we are entering data manually twice
I think it will need to be a script run ONLY at the time when the initial estimates are complete...then its not a "linked" field but a hardcoded field

Sprint planning members, after breaking down user story into tasks, compare a user story’s new estimate with its original estimate.
The original estimate should be _not a field populated by hand_ - it should be populated automatically
(this is important as it allows project members to assign user story estimates, at project start, via the estimation board).

10 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Tom Dean shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

1 comment

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Tom Dean commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The requirement here is:

Sprint planning members need the ability to compare the original User Story estimate (that it was given via the user story estimation board at project start) to the NEW estimate that is a more detailed estimate rolled up of all the task underneath it.
        User Story break down into tasks occurs in sprint planning with the whole team.

Feedback and Knowledge Base