Speak freely

Automatically update most recent Time Remain value when Role Effort is updated manually

reducing effort not refecting on remaining hours

If we just reduce the effort number in Assignments the remaining hours are not adjusted according to the new effort
instead it remains the same.

Time was already added after original effort was entered and the effort was reduced. Now I need to edit the remaining hours myself.

Implement the flow:
Planning unit is hours
User Story is estimated as 5h for Developer
Developer posts time: 2h spent, 3h remain
Project Manager changes estimation for User Story: +4h more, so it is now 9h for Developer

Targetprocess should update most recent Time record for Developer role: keep 2h spent but put +4h to remain, so that time remain becomes 3+4=7h now.

Same correction of most recent time remain for a role should be done when the estimation (effort) is reduced.

26 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

6 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Hagit commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I updated these tasks' efforts after they were created and the time remain didn't update
        how can update the time remain as well?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When I measure effort in hours, I expect that Time remain is automatically set to Total Role Effort - Total Role Time spent.
        Estimate user story with its tasks to 16h
        post 9h spent on it or its tasks
        time remain surely should be 16 – 9 = 7

• Maxwell Correya commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Corresponding to re-estimation, when I increase overal effort at User Story level, then its remaining time is not re-calculated nor displaying in their respective display areas correspondingly.

Manual correction for Time Remain is not practical, as effort re-estimation can be frequent. Time remaining can be worked out based on Total Effort allocated, and Total Time entered.

I created a user story with 8 hours of effort. I submitted a time sheet for a few hours, then changed the story effort to 24 hours. However, the green progress bar and time sheet fields still use 8 hours for calculating the time remaining.

Thank you for documenting how it works, but the real question is: do you believe that’s how it should work? You’re telling me there’s no way to change effort and keep calculations correct. If I’m working on a story and I discover there’s more to it than I thought, if I change the effort then calculated values will all be wrong. The only option appears to be deleting the story, deleting related time sheets and other items, then re-entering all that data in a new and enlarged story.

Adding a new story to capture the additional hours isn’t allowed because story names are line items in a contract.

Time remaining - and all other calculations - should be based on current values, not historic values.

If I adjust the effort on a project, it does not reflect the change in the time remaining on timesheets etc - how can I get it to adjust to the new effort on my timesheet?

I have increased estimated hours from 14 to 19 Hours but the progress is still showing 1 Hour remaining instead of 6 Hours.

The problem is that 1 hour remaining is taken from the most recent 'time' record
        So besides editing the estimated effort I have to either edit the 'Time Spent'/'Remain' record as well and duplicate my updated estimation there, or, alternatively, post new time record '0h spent , 6 h remain'

it worked but it is quite confusing

Feedback and Knowledge Base